Thursday, January 8, 2015

The Critical Frog: Life Itself

Say it ain't so, Roger.
Say that none of these painful experiences truly damaged you. Say that your life was a completely happy one, that the pain you felt never stopped you. Say that everything was OK.
Let us believe. We critics need our heroes.

Of all the film critics in all the world, Roger Ebert was clearly the voice among them. When he passed away 2 years ago, every critic shed a tear, me included, for the future of criticism. Without a definitive voice, who would take up the reins and lead criticism into the modern era? Who could possibly follow in the footsteps of a giant like Ebert? Why, Ebert himself of course! Wait, what?

Yes, Ebert packed one last surprise in the form of the film Life Itself. A beautiful picture of the work and upbringing of the great critic, his family and friends join Ebert's narration from his autobiography as they talk about the ups and downs of the giant's life. We learn of his history, as an alcoholic, then as a journalist, then as a TV star and rising up to being the leading man on the subject of film. We see his memories told through his voice, and that makes them so much more profound.

The only reason I had so much trouble watching this primarily comes from the fact that Ebert was.... well, my idol. At the end of his life, he had to undergo multiple surgeries due to jaw cancer, and as such he was left with an open hole for a mouth and an inability to speak or eat. Although he appears happy, playing with his grandkids and continuing the criticism work via blog, you can see the amount of pain he's in. And whether or not you know what it feels like, when the one you idolize is in pain, you feel the pain too.

But, despite his condition, he grew an even larger following, later becoming, as I like to put it, the suave uncle of the internet, one of the voices telling what is right and wrong that, obligingly, you listen to. He even pulled a 1-up on all other critics by totally admitting the few cases where he was wrong. Through his attitude online and his relations to his fanbase without voice, he left a legacy to watch. And now, with the release of Life Itself, we can. Do I occasionally disagree with his opinions? Sometimes (what's wrong with Three Amigos? I LIKE Three Amigos). Do I think video games are art, opposed to him? I do (Ebert clearly never played Shadow Of The Colossus). Are ALL his opinions mine? Not entirely. But do I respect them? Of course. That's how Ebert acted, and that's how any critic should.

  Oh, Roger, my friend, my fellow critic, my guy-who-loves-movies-and-who-kind-of-reminds-me-of-my-grandpa, I tip my hat to you one last time. We will cross paths again on this blog, however- come April, that is. I'm thinking of going to the Valley of the Dolls. Probably beyond it.'

OVERALL RATING: Two Thumbs Up!
-------------------------------------------
Was there any other way to grade Ebert's life story besides with Ebert's trademark? Definitely not.

No comments:

Post a Comment