Saturday, July 19, 2014

The Critical Frog: Why Do People Hate Bronies?

So seeing as how it`s still My Little Pony month, I`d like to talk about something affecting the show: the male fans of MLP known as bronies. (And yes, as you can probably tell, I am a brony) But rather than discuss the merits and perks of bronyhood, I`d like to talk about the hatred of bronies in the media- or, more particularly, why we are hated.

As anybody who`s been on the internet knows (and if you`re new, mazel tov), bronies have been a topic of online discussion for quite some time. Many people see them as homosexual or childlike, and defenders just consider themselves another fandom. But is it right to hate on somebody just because they like a TV show?

From my experience with My Little Pony, the show is actually extremely good. The plots make sense, the stories are engaging, the lessons are relevant, and the visual gags are priceless. As a forerunner in the brony community, I can say that it`s just a really good series. I resonate with the characters, I can follow the plot, and I can laugh at the jokes.

The main reason I believe the brony community is hated on is due to the undeniable fact that yes, despite the enormous following of grown men, this is still a TV show for 5-year old girls. But for critics like me, it's just another good show. I'd rather take the view of a critic than bring up an enormous argument at this point. But if you've seen the show, you get what I'm talking about.

But another thing that it's important to mention is the feeling of unity My Little Pony instills in people: I've been to gaming conventions, hiking in the mountains, and in stadiums, and I've become friends with people I never would have imagined, all because of our common love of ponies, cupcakes, and the art of the 'yay'. A common show like this really works to bring people together.

So I've shown opinions, but you're all free to make your own decisions. If you're really all against bronyhood and want to mock me and my opinion in the comments, go right and ahead and troll (love and tolerate). But if you feel like it, go ahead and pull up the series premiere on the internet. I guarantee you won;t be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment