Sunday, June 29, 2014

The Critical Frog's Favorite MLP Episodes- #3

#3- TIE- Princess Twilight Sparkle (Season 4) and The Return Of Harmony (Season 2)
----------------------------------------------
This was a really hard one to pick. I suppose if I had to choose one, it would go to Princess Twilight, but with the addition of one newer episode onto the list I had to move it down. Either way, I love both of these episodes as good examples of old masterpieces and new ones.

First, the Return of Harmony. This is the season 2 opener and is a perfect setup to the best full season of MLP. In it, a villain named Discord (John De Lancie, who they somehow managed to get into My Little Pony) is released from his stone prison and proceeds to steal the elements of harmony, turning the world into a chaotic mess. It's up to the Mane 6 to stop him, and in the process they become twisted into the opposite of their element (Rarity becomes greed, Applejack starts to lie, etc.). Now I'm pretty sure I talked about how much I love Discord already (and if I didn't, I love Discord) and how his chaotic personality works as a great foil to the perfectionist Twilight. The imagery in the episode is unique, even scary for younger viewers (After watching Stephen King's mini-series, those balloons creep the hell out of me), and as always in MLP, the jokes are priceless. There really isn't much else to say about this that hasn't been said before, but let me just say I love every minute of it.

Princess Twilight Sparkle, on the other hand, is a newer episode that works well. In this one, the newly crowned Alicorn Twilight is faced with the perils of royal life and forced to make a decision around the fate of her friends and the elements of harmony when the Everfree Forest comes to life and begins to attack Ponyville. Twilight consults Zecora the mystic for advice on how to handle the situation,  and she is forced to travel back into the past in order to not only discoer the reason for the attack, but also to understand the history of Equestria when the newly reformed Discord offers his help to solve the problem. This episode is also great at explaining not only the history, but also developing the characters and story in general. Both of these episodes are great, so instead of picking one over the other, they both earn the number 3 spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment