Tuesday, August 26, 2014

The Critical Frog: On Robin Williams

It's been a bit now since the passing of Robin Williams, a giant of the current era of film. When I heard the news that he had been found with a belt around his neck, it struck me like a lightning bolt. Now in the name of honesty, I can't truly say that I loved everything the man did- as a kid growing up with two medical professionals as parents, Patch Adams made me angry with it's depictions- but from what I've seen, he was a nice guy and a decent performer.

I think his improv is where he really shined: in film and his later ill-fated TV series, you can tell there are moments when he just lets go of the script and enters his world of snappy remarks and curious quotations. These work on a humorous level that can bring irony or laughs to any situation. Take this quote from Patch Adams, a movie I personally didn't care for but had quotes I like:
(Names and quote slightly adjusted to fit what I remember)

Patch's Roommate: "Paul Whatssisname. Top of my class, valedictorian, dean's list."
Patch: "I once drew a picture of a rabbit that got me two gold stars!"

How does this make me laugh, and why is it such an amusing scene?

The big thing I'll remember him for is Hook, the sequel to Peter Pan that had mixed reviews. I liked it. But is it right to hate on a movie you liked? Maybe, but that's a question for another day.  The big topic I want to bring up is, why DO funny people like Robin Williams commit suicide?

If there's one thing I've learned from the works of Voltaire, it's that the smile is the mask of suffering. Most of the time, it ends up being the people who seem the happiest who have the saddest lives. Maybe this entire time, he was going through some severe depression that he kept hidden. And maybe he just tried to put it off, not because of the fame and money, but because he wanted to make other people happy when he couldn't be. And when his show got cancelled, it all caught up with him.

We may never know the full story behind his death. Maybe someone killed him and made it look like suicide. Or maybe he just decided he had enough. Whatever it is, we can't just look at him as "The funny guy who died". In order for his legacy to prosper, we must look at the good times, not the bad, and see him as "The gifted improv comedian with a heart of gold and a desire to make others smile". Only then can we make his final wish come true, and only then can we accept his death. I only hope people can understand what he really stood for, and keep on smiling. I know I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment